Questions or comments

Massimo Dentico m.dentico@galactica.it
Wed Mar 28 09:31:02 2001

Brian Rice wrote:

> > Pietro wrote:
> > [...]
> > When I downloaded the file it came with a .pr.zip

This is probably IE.

> > extension, in spite of the fact that its URL is that
> > of a .pr file. Supposing that a .pr file has the for-
> > mat of a .zip file, i also tried to load the file without
> > the .zip extension, as Squeak does not allow loading
> > a project file with a different extension from .pr, but
> > the following exception immediately popped out:
> >
> > Error: subscript out of bound (etc).

The same here.

> It sounds like the software you are using is trying to coerce things
> on its own. (Too smart for its own good.) You have two options: (1)
> somehow get it to not attempt coercion, and (2) access the URL from
> within Squeak.
>
> I'm guessing that this is a Windows program you're using, as I
> noticed you mailed with Outlook Express. So I'm not sure how
> difficult (1) would be. Not all Windows programs give you all the
> options you need. I don't have a Windows system handy to test you're
> problem, either. (No offense, but this makes me really joyful. =)
> What is probably needed is to disable whichever program it is that
> coerces the .zip extension. At the very least, I'll ask Squeakers if
> anyone's seen this problem. You also might try using a different
> (i.e. simpler) web browser, whatever one you can get for your
> platform that is less than 40MB in size, as that will likely not make
> as many of those invisible choices for you. Actually, I tried getting
> the .pr with IE 5.0 on the Mac just now to test it, and it works
> fine. So IE might not your problem, but instead some third-party
> software. However, I noticed just now that loading the project stalls
> at the last point in progress, requiring Alt-period halting. :( So
> I'll put together a stable release and test it myself to see if I can
> get at least that to go away. But I don't see you're bug, so that
> makes me think it has to do with your platform's settings for
> handling internet files.
>
> See if this is the problem, please. I'm sending your report to the
> Squeak mailing list to see if anyone's run into something similar.
>
> Thanks,
> ~

I have dowloaded Arrow.pr with 4 different software (Win2000
platform):

1) Netscape 4.7 (with right click on URL and Save Link As...
   otherwise it shows Arrow.pr in browser window)
2) IE 5.0
3) Get Right 3.3.4
4) Opera 5.02

Only IE saves the file as Arrow.pr.zip and all these 4 files
cause the same error (Error: subscript out of bound: 0)
when loaded in Squeak. So I doubt that this error concerns
internet files handling.

Best regards.

--
Massimo Dentico