TUNES

Björnke von Gierke tunes@tunes.org
Fri Jan 11 17:18:02 2002

Much snipping happening in this mail:

>> Why cant i just hit reply to answer a mail to the mailing list, is it =

>> my
>> app or the  server?
> As with many mailing-lists, you have to use "Group Reply" to reply
> to everyone rather than just the originator of the mail.
My app only has a "Reply to all Sender" function. It adds "Bcc:
Tunes@tunes.org" to the mail header, so the originator of the mail will
get the mail personally, AND over the Group. Very annoying...

>> Me thinks it's much too clumsy arranged and unintuitiv presented, =
maybe
>> for compatibility with CLI-Browsers?
> Compatibility with CLI-Browsers is a requirement, although if you're
> willing to write a system that adds features for other browsers =
without
> sacrificing compatibility *snip*
Well, thats quiet simple with an intro-page, which has a link for
text-only content (as is) and more detailed (same content framed or
within a table). One could also Use javascript to redirect every browser
to a more detailed Page. As text-only-browsers do not support
javascript, they keep on the first page anyway, and can proceed from
there manually.

>> Faq is too detailed, shoud only give simple clue about what Tunes is.
> On the other hand, I don't know how to do without details, or else,
> the answers might betray the issue and confuse the reader.
> Maybe have a short answer in larger size and a longer answer in small =

> size, for every question?
A FAQ should only give simple clue about the FAQ-ed term, IMHO.
As a reader, I would expect the FAQ to contain short info on where the
project came from, what it is, short roadmaps, targets and methods
(etc.). All very short but with links to the adequate information in the
documentation. I.E. the targets part of the FAQ could explain the
general target, the quintessence but also contain links to the examples,
the HLL-project or/and the "Why a new OS?" article...

>> Is there already a deccission made what userinterface the first =
version
>> will use? (I mean that 'run on top of other os' -thingie) Is It CLI,
>> GUI?
> To begin with, we'd just have a listener, that takes strings as input, =

> *snip*
Listener? well ok it crunches strings... does it understand sentences?
Or do you mean string as in "long" ? There may be some detailed info
about that some where on that tunes-page-thing...

*snip*
>> Wouldn't it be funny if the logo would be a picture with a tag on it:
>> "This is not a Logo"
> Could be nice. But not before there's code.
Before code comes info, which then can be coded so that the machine
understands it... but what info? I really have to dig trough that
homepage, it MUST be hidden somewhere, as the truth lies in there... ;)

uninformed
Björnke

PS:
"short" sentences for the OSdev page:
We don't want to make a new OS, we develop a new computing philosophy.
It has to do with <cool buzzwords>  selfscripting code, relational
filesystems, metatranslation of static programming languages, cool
acronyms like "Tunes" or "HLL" and much more!</cool buzzwords> We even
regret the idea of a logo, so come over and dig into our project!