Contributing (was Re: Tunes Membership Policy)

Brian T Rice water@tunes.org
Thu Feb 20 12:39:01 2003

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, David Scott Williams, web wrote:

> I am a self-taught programmer, and I am just finishing pushing
> Dustyscript 1.0 (http://dustyscript.sourceforge.net/) out the door.
>
> I will have some time to dedicate.  I do some Perl, PHP, Java
> mainly, some C/C++ (currently teaching myself)...
>
> I have never done x86 assembler, but am willing to give it a go...
>
> Where do I start?

These are incredibly common skills. By observing the Tunes membership
list, I see that most of the people I would like to remove from it have
those kinds of skills. We need people who go beyond that. There's no point
in wanting to contribute to a new system if you can't comprehend it when
it finally is handed to you.

Learn and use the languages mentioned on the PL 101 area of the Tunes
Cliki:
http://cliki.tunes.org/PL%20101

Learning assembly is exactly what NOT to do if you haven't done it before.
We'd rather borrow and adapt code and rely on a very few experts than get
a lot of inexpert cooks' hands in the pot.

--
Brian T. Rice
LOGOS Research and Development