Tunes Membership Policy

Brian T Rice water@tunes.org
Thu Feb 20 14:40:02 2003

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Tril wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 11:54:01AM -0800, Brian T Rice wrote:
> > 1) Members must be on the developers' main mailing list [...]
> > 2) Members must have contributed something [...]
> >
> > Are there any objections, additions, or other kinds of suggestions for me
> > in this? If there's a contention, we'll just put it to a vote.
>
> I agree.  TUNES members should be more devoted than what is shown on
> the members list.  People say they are interested in TUNES and are
> willing to help, but since they haven't, they aren't really part of
> the project.  Part of the problem is people can't tell what to
> contribute; but I think you are correct in referring them to the Cliki
> about this.

Okay, great.

> I am willing to continue to maintain the members list using the new
> requirements.  How about if I extend the members database to have a
> flag for lurker vs. contributor, and show each group separately?  The
> "lurkers" group can be more of a potential member list or "guest
> book." I don't care what the list of lurkers/interested parties is
> called but I'd like to preserve that information.

This is good. I think "guest book" is a good title, as well as
"contributor".

> For the new policy I'll need an authoritative CREDITS document to
> lookup what everyone has contributed.  I suggest a wiki page for
> Credits which I can simply refer to to implement requirement #2.
> I already have access to mailing list memberships since I run the
> mailing lists, so #1 is easy.

Okay. I'll start one out today.

> Will members need to contribute regularly to retain contributor
> status?

Probably, but at such long intervals that we shouldn't have to worry about
checking this more than once a year or so.

> I suggest members who got @tunes.org e-mail addresses under the old
> rules, but are not contributors, be allowed to keep the e-mail
> addresses unless they request to delete them, since they might still
> be in use and it doesn't use many resources to provide them.  I'll
> plan at least to remove unix group 'tunes' access to anyone who has a
> Bespin.org account who has not been a contributor.

These are good decisions.

> > In times past, Fare was the end-point in that sense, and often he does
> > not spend attention on the mailing list for months at a time (neither
> > did Tril), and the entire project suffered from this.
>
> Well, I'm reading the mailing list regularly right now.
>
> I appreciate the work you are putting in to the TUNES project.
> Hopefully it will inspire all of the rest of us to work harder as
> well.

Thanks. Hopefully my current role and how I'm executing it (stepping on
people's toes to get their attention) will not be necessary for much
longer.

--
Brian T. Rice
LOGOS Research and Development