TUNES digest, Vol 1 #356 - 8 msgs

Lynn H. Maxson Lynn H. Maxson" <lmaxson@pacbell.net
Sat May 31 19:19:01 2003

James Michael DuPont writes:
"...I think that the entire message is that we are going to have
a system where the type definer and type user are becoming
one. The system is able to define itself, and we have a
breakdown in the class society.  This is a revolutionary
process imho. ..."

I apologize upfront to Fare for responding to the same mailing
list in which this messsage appeared.  I don't quite know how
to make the shift to move it to someplace else.

The message correctly depicts the different goals between
the type definers and the type users with only one exception
of which I am aware: PL/I.  The message, however, indicates a
merger at some time in the future which occurs already as
part of the implication of open source where the givers arise
from the taking community.

For whatever negatives expressed here about the gcc
compiler (and I'm certainly no fan of C) it does give you the
source for the tool as well as both the right and means to
change it.  Thus it ceases to be them or us.  If we do not take
advantage of the situation to improve the tools in ways to
increase our productivity, then surely we will add one more
vote to Pogo Possum's comment that "We have met the
enemy and he is us".