FPGA

Joerg F. Wittenberger Joerg F. Wittenberger" <Joerg.Wittenberger@softeyes.net
Wed Nov 12 09:17:01 2003

Mark Baily <mbaily@iii.rmit.edu.au> writes:

> Just wondering whether Field Programmable Gate Arrays will have
> a place in the tunes project since they can be used to do specific
> operations in parallel and then reprogrammed to do another set of
> operations when required, which is really another way of saying
> metaprogramming.

They do have a place.  Almost 10 yrs ago I learned something about
FPGA during post grad studies.  It really inspired me to think
different how programms should be organised.  This inspiration (and
petri net theory) accounts for my personal belief, that programming
structured around flow of control (threads), as prevailing today, is
far from the most efficient mental model for programming.

As a consequence, Askemos (www.askemos.org) has a different way, which
follows the model of "coupled functional cells", as found in FGPA,
physical circuits and nervous systems.

For day to day progamming I'm increasingly using Askemos and found it
a big relief in that respect.

best regards

/Jörg

--
The worst of harm may often result from the best of intentions.