Work

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue May 15 01:31:49 PDT 2007

If some of you are still interested in working on TUNESy ideas, here
are some general projects that you may want to work on. More
suggestions welcome, and/or pointers to things that already do most of
the work.

* Work on Slate, give it a decent virtual machine implementation
* Start from Ian Piumarta's COLAs (or the same idea), and build some
interesting language implementation for, e.g. Slate, or a good Lisp
system.
* Start from Movitz, build better system abstractions on it or for it.
* Start from Exscribe, show how a high-level language can benefit a
domain where the only programmable system (TeX) is a complete mess.
* Start from Philip-Jose, the "farmer" I just wrote, and extend it
with fork() and a better communication protocol, so as to get
Erlang-like concurrency in Lisp
* Starting from some Lisp compiler, implement the "user-declared
safe-point" protocol from my thesis, and build a reflective
implementation framework with reversible compilation, etc.
* Starting from some expert system, build some expertises for
analyzing and refactoring programs, e.g. abstract interpretation,
partial evaluation, deforestation, aspect-oriented programming, logic
metaprogramming, etc.
* Build a library (for Lisp or Slate) combining a monotonic fragment
and a linear logic fragment, and build user-visible abstractions from
that.

If we build up a bit, we may be in a situation that we can apply for
GSoC sponsorship next year. We missed 3 such events. Mea Culpa.

Wishing without work is like fishing without bait.
        -- Frank Tyger