[unios] Re: games

Pieter Dumon Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 19:32:11 +0100 (MET)

From: Pieter Dumon <Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be>

> From: Anders Petersson <anders.petersson@mbox320.swipnet.se>
>
> At 22:18 1998-12-07 +0000, you wrote:
> >From: "Srikant Sharma (Chiku)" <srikants@wipinfo.soft.net>
> >
> >On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Pieter Dumon wrote:
> >
> >> From: Pieter Dumon <Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be>
> >>
> >> One thing is sure...
> >> If you want an OS that is actually _used_ by peolple,
> >> you will need good support for games.
> >>

> >I second this .....
> >--
> >Srikant
>
> Yes. Something that might be unclear, is in what way(s) games should be
> supported.
>
> I think we need good network support, good hardware support and access, and
> an interface to the system that is easy to program for.
> An environment with good scheduling is a plus too, maybe even featuring
> realtime execution.

> binEng

That's what I meant, off course. Good scheduling is not actually needed
for gaming, I think, but it is for the rest of computing.
I'm not saying we should make gaming a priority; not at all :)

But I think if we design a system that's good at games/multimedia, we will
have a pretty good system in general too.

And you really need gaming support. Look at win95. Microsoft was forced
to add DirectX to get win95 going...

 Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be

 http://studwww.rug.ac.be/~pdumon

 ICQ  : 12428974