[unios] Re: games

Anders Petersson anders.petersson@mbox320.swipnet.se
Mon, 07 Dec 1998 22:11:27 +0100

From: Anders Petersson <anders.petersson@mbox320.swipnet.se>

>> >I second this .....
>> >--
>> >Srikant
>>
>> Yes. Something that might be unclear, is in what way(s) games should be
>> supported.
>>
>> I think we need good network support, good hardware support and access, and
>> an interface to the system that is easy to program for.
>> An environment with good scheduling is a plus too, maybe even featuring
>> realtime execution.
>
>> binEng
>
>That's what I meant, off course. Good scheduling is not actually needed
>for gaming, I think, but it is for the rest of computing.
>I'm not saying we should make gaming a priority; not at all :)
>
>But I think if we design a system that's good at games/multimedia, we will
>have a pretty good system in general too.
>
>And you really need gaming support. Look at win95. Microsoft was forced
>to add DirectX to get win95 going...

When I read my posting now, I realize it might have sounded wrong. I did
not mean there are special tricks in an OS that makes gaming possible. What
I did mean is that game producers are more likely to look to our platform
if it possesses the stated qualities.

But the thing that'd make the biggest impact would of course be to have a
big user base. ;-)

I do believe that the multitasking is important for gaming... at least the
action-based 3D games. Almost everybody I know has experienced the infamous
win95/98 jerks every 10-15 minutes when playing calculation-intensive
games. This seems for me to be a scheduling issue.

And for DirectX... I've heard it's kinda crap... no wonder. Of course we'd
make better than that. If we ever get the opportunity.

binEng