[unios] Re: games

Pat Wendorf beholder@ican.net
Mon, 07 Dec 1998 16:45:15 -0500

From: Pat Wendorf <beholder@ican.net>

> But the thing that'd make the biggest impact would of course be to have a
> big user base. ;-)

This will come in time, if we make a real good product :)

> I do believe that the multitasking is important for gaming... at least the
> action-based 3D games. Almost everybody I know has experienced the infamous
> win95/98 jerks every 10-15 minutes when playing calculation-intensive
> games. This seems for me to be a scheduling issue.

Only die hard Quake fans notice that <grin>.  I also heard it was a scheduling
thing...  Every once in a while, even during intensive processes, Win95 decides to
do memory clean up... uggh...

> And for DirectX... I've heard it's kinda crap... no wonder. Of course we'd
> make better than that. If we ever get the opportunity.

DirectX is crap...  It's a terribly complicated/undocumented (both go hand in
hand) system of using surfaces, and modifying their properties... OpenGL (for
example), is a much better API... better laid out, easier to understand, well
documented.... and not from MS.   But I think we may develop our own API for that
kind of thing (built into the hardware abstracts).

--
Pat Wendorf