[unios] Re: games

Pieter Dumon Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 13:18:11 +0100 (MET)

From: Pieter Dumon <Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be>

> From: Pat Wendorf <beholder@ican.net>
>
> > And for DirectX... I've heard it's kinda crap... no wonder. Of course we'd
> > make better than that. If we ever get the opportunity.
>
> DirectX is crap...  It's a terribly complicated/undocumented (both go hand in
> hand) system of using surfaces, and modifying their properties... OpenGL (for
> example), is a much better API... better laid out, easier to understand, well
> documented.... and not from MS.   But I think we may develop our own API for that
> kind of thing (built into the hardware abstracts).

First, you must distinguish DirectX on win95/98 and on NT. The
architectures are fundamentally different, so DirectX is too.

I'm certainly not saying that DirectX is good, but I doubt your statement
that it is undocumented. How could all game developpers otherwise use it
with lots of success?

Also, I don't think it is a good idea to implement another standard for
direct I/O. That would be playing Microsoft...

Pieter

 Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be

 http://studwww.rug.ac.be/~pdumon

 ICQ  : 12428974