[unios] Re: games

Pat Wendorf beholder@ican.net
Tue, 08 Dec 1998 10:35:10 -0500

From: Pat Wendorf <beholder@ican.net>

> > I hear BeOS uses something called pervasive multithreading... lots of small
> > process threads.  I hear it makes multimedia type things very smooth.  I think
> > one of the kernel models should have this.... (however this model as we all know
> > is totally contrary to server processes, hence the multi kernel design :)
> >

> Why would it be contrary to server processes ?

Server processes use longer, larger thread model.  This reduces the system
responsiveness to the user, but is more efficient for serving resources.  BeOS is made
for quick responsiveness for all it's processes.

> > > And you really need gaming support. Look at win95. Microsoft was forced
> > > to add DirectX to get win95 going...
> >
> > We defiantly don't want it to be an add on for later. UniOS should support it
> > native, just like designing any other app.   Maybe we could implement it within
> > the hardware abstracts or the HAL...  High performance 2D/3D graphics functions
> > or something...
>
> It's not that difficult to implement this from start. Just map libraries
> with code that generically access the hardware into the memory space of
> the user process that needs to do direct I/O. With soem security checks
> off course...

I was thinking more of having the hardware abstract objects in memory, and it's a
communications process for programs to do I/O.  The Objects would contain all the
methods necessary for the I/O that developers would want to do, but it would also be
able to do it's own security checks.  This also promotes cross platformness.

--
Pat Wendorf