[unios] Re: readingu

Pieter Dumon Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 12:16:49 +0100 (MET)

From: Pieter Dumon <Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be>

> From: Pat Wendorf <beholder@ican.net>
>
> > I would suggest you all read the papers you
> > can find about the Flux project of CMU at
> > http://www.cs.utah.edu/projects/flux.
>
> Seems interesting, although geared as a server
Not necessarily, the design works for all OSs and is very powerful.

> and I may be wrong, but they
> don't talk about consistent interface or anything that makes an OS useable.
Well, they talk about the interface to the kernel, and their nested
process model can provide layers oin top of this very efficiently. But
they don't talk about a high-level OS interface because it is up to the OS
designer using the model to provide this. You can implement as a
posix,win32 as well as bibEng's 'generic' design with the model, and even
all together running simultaneously on one machine or network.

> Actually it seems very academic.  Lots of useful information though, but I
> hate PS documents... there is no good PS viewer in Win environment that I
> know of.

Ghostview exists for Windows too. Perhaps you could get it at
www.tucows.com or so.

> However the information looks good enough to justify installing Linux to look
> at it :)

Well, I use Linux anyway, and sometimes NT. But installing Linux just for
this purpose...

> > Lets you know what systems are already being designed and implemented in
> > the world.
>
> Why don't you summarize what you think would be the best model.  This would
> help us all understand where you are coming from, and why you think that way.

I'm not really sure of what the best model is. I'll study some more models
and think of some things, and send a 'report' ... But anyway, I think you
should really seperate the kernel design from the design of the
higher-level OS services.

Pieter

 Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be

 http://studwww.rug.ac.be/~pdumon