[unios] Re: IPC in the current OO model

Anders Petersson anders.petersson@mbox320.swipnet.se
Sat, 26 Dec 1998 23:56:40 +0100

From: Anders Petersson <anders.petersson@mbox320.swipnet.se>

At 1998-12-27 , you wrote:
>From: Alan Grimes <ogrimes@bellatlantic.net>
>
>> Or what if both solutions are useful in combination? Sometimes thread
>> jumping is better, sometimes client/server... Other than that it introduces
>> some kernel complexity, I see no hinder to have both, they are both
>> possible in our current design. What do you think of it?
>>
>> >The kernel in such a system would do little more then sceduel threads,
>> >allocate raw hardware and memory and provide a linkage database for
>> >the objects to connect to each other.
>>
>> Almost correct... thanks to OID servers, the kernel does not need to take
>> care of object connections. A "root server" is still needed, I guess.
>> The memory allocation function would have to be provided by the kernel, but
>> could be further implemented by memory servers. The kernel would only
>> provide some sort of root memory allocation.
>> And threads... it's the same thing with them. The kernel implements a
>> simple root scheduler, on which additional schedulers can be stacked.
>>
>> Very flexible, very generic, very neat.
>
>HEY!!! That's the design I've been working on!!!!!!! :| U stole mi idea!!! :P

Nope, I thought of it myself. And... I guess many more have already thought
about it before. I didn't see anything like it on your site. Let me
guess... it's not up-to-date, right?

>Okay I have already developed a conceptualization and design for this idea. I
>have even begun coding a prototype. The problem I face is that I want to do a
>really profesional job on it, that means compiling it and linking it. The

Are you implementing only this or a whole system, with all the other
conceptual stuff which is needed to get a complete system model?

>problem I've been facing is that no linkers are available and that I will
have
>to develop one for myself. this is a problem because I have spent all my time
>studying operating systems and nil time studying linkers. If you can help
me I
>will be most appreciative. :)

We'll come to that stage... eventually.

>Meanwhilest you can say Yes, you support my design and will help me
develop it
>once I get this prototype out the door. :) (I'll be working on the prototype
>once I have streightened out my development problems.)

What do you think of the possibility to join our forces? An OS is far too
big to be worked on by several small groups in parallell, if they are to
succeed.

>I'm still waiting for Windows 4.0

So am I. :-P

binEng