[unios] Re: self-contained

Tril dem@tunes.org
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 18:40:29 -0800 (PST)

From: Tril <dem@tunes.org>

On Sat, 26 Dec 1998, Anders Petersson wrote:

> From: Anders Petersson <anders.petersson@mbox320.swipnet.se>
>
> >From: Tril <dem@tunes.org>
> >
> >Pat wrote:
> >>
> >> Total Project Goal:  Self contained objects that can be executed via
> >> command interface (TTY, GUI). Containing only the objects they need. (to
> >> avoid duplication).
> >
> >What do you mean, self-contained objects?  What is the opposite of a
> >self-contained object?
>
> I think he means that every program is an own object, that holds all its
> parts inside itself, in contrast to Windows programs, which seem to prefer
> to spread out their files as much as possible.

I agree we need a module system so the system knows what objects are in
each module installed. My module system will be very advanced, with
versioning, and you'll be able to keep multiple versions of objects.

In my system there is really no object "in" another, because orthogonal
persistence says any object can be anywhere (possibly multiple places) no
matter what it is, without changing its meaning.  I actually use "in" for
many things, though, because it is a concept humans readily understand.

> I agree on what Pat says... except that I think that certain objects
> introduced with the program are of general interest and should be
> incorporated with the system rather than with the program package.
> I guess he thinks so too, he only didn't state it explicitly.

Well, any object which is useful for more than one thing should be
integrated in the system.  And I hope to encourage most people to develop
objects which ARE useful for many things (generic).  In fact my system is
based on provided support for developing generic objects.  When there are
enough generic objects, hopefully the system will be able to kind of be
able to "figure out how" to do tasks from just an abstract description of
the task.  Generic objects are also just good for promoting re-use.

David Manifold <dem@tunes.org>
This message is placed in the public domain.