[unios] Re: IPC in the current OO model

Pieter Dumon Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 10:58:27 +0100 (MET)

From: Pieter Dumon <Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be>

> From: Alan Grimes <ogrimes@bellatlantic.net>
>
> > Almost correct... thanks to OID servers, the kernel does not need to take
> > care of object connections. A "root server" is still needed, I guess.
> > The memory allocation function would have to be provided by the kernel, but
> > could be further implemented by memory servers. The kernel would only
> > provide some sort of root memory allocation.
> > And threads... it's the same thing with them. The kernel implements a
> > simple root scheduler, on which additional schedulers can be stacked.
> >
> > Very flexible, very generic, very neat.
>
> HEY!!! That's the design I've been working on!!!!!!! :| U stole mi idea!!! :P

:-) Your idea?? This idea has been developped some 10 years ago already,
but the hardware wan't as powerful...

> Okay I have already developed a conceptualization and design for this idea. I
> have even begun coding a prototype. The problem I face is that I want to do a
> really profesional job on it, that means compiling it and linking it. The
> problem I've been facing is that no linkers are available and that I will have
> to develop one for myself. this is a problem because I have spent all my time
> studying operating systems and nil time studying linkers. If you can help me I
> will be most appreciative. :)

Why don't people just use _existing_ languages, existing object formats
and existing linkers. It's just so easy. With Linux, you code in C,
C++,Pascal,Modula,ADA or whatever, compile it with some frontend to
GCC and link it with ld, which is able to understand a world of object
formats.

-------
I'm not waiting for Windows 4.0 at all.

 Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be