[unios] m-kernel

OJ Hickman hickman1@peak.org
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 13:13:55 -0800

Pieter Dumon wrote:

> From: Pieter Dumon <Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be>
>
> Actually, what is not offered by a microkernel that is needed by
> UniOS? Nothing. A _true_ microkernel offers everythign you want :
> stability,flexibility,speed etc. What you build on top of it is
> what will be making UniOS, but the microkernel offers the
> machine-independent and powerfull, stable,flexible layer on top of which
> almost evry type of system you can imagine can be built. You don't have to
> use the classic Client-Server ideas if you don't want to.
> The thingie you call "reflection" can be built into the system running on
> top of the microkernel, but the microkernel doesn't need it. No, it needs
> to be stable and reflection means probable stability "leaks".

[Almost] **Every** OS project that I have researched uses some form of
microkernel. They just very in the amount of control the kernel
has of memory and task management and IPC/RPC implamention. [Even
the Cashe Kernel is just a microkernel]

mOS, as well as the Component Framework I'm working up,
would just work on top of a microkernel. These are not
truly new low level designs but build on what exists
today to provide higher level organizetion and management.

It seems that all the work that can be done on kernels
themselves has been done.

- Albert Einstein

Omer James Hickman - hickman1@peak.org - ojh@hotmail.com
http://members.tripod.com/~OJ_Hickman - updated 12/28/98