[unios] A radical Idea

Anders Petersson bineng@bespin.dhs.org
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 22:39:58 +0200

At 1999-07-15 , you wrote:
>This is mainly to unios, but also is of intrest to tunes. The others on
the list
>I hope are still interested in what I have to say.
>
>	Lets see if I can finish this before my machine crashes again. =\
>I have been trying to get MP-3s to play under windoze 3.11 They used to work
>untill about a week ago but now they just freeze the entire system and start
>sounding like a broken record. YUCK! I have been thinking that 'doze will
soon
>reach the end of the time when even the most simple work can be gotten out of
>it. Soon it won't even boot and I will just suddenly disappear form
cyberspace
>and you'll never see me again... So I gots to wondering. What if *we* I mean
>*US* wrote a program, I'm not sure what, that would run on my computer and
make
>it run like it did back in the good old days... A program that would just
load
>every day and play MP3s and keep me grinning... Just something simple and
>streightforward, nothing fancy. All it would have to do is keep me on the
net...
>I will call this program an "Operating System". =) Everybody in?

Hmm. This - what did you call it... this "Operating System" (I'll simplify
that to "OS"), it would then like, *replace* Windows? Sorry, but I don't
think that is possible. Everybody knows Windows comes as part of the
computer, I think it's stored directly in the video memory, so you can't
really look at the monitor without seeing it, and you can't remove it.
And even if it *was* possible, everybody knows MicroSoft makes the best
software anyway. And I don't think you can write own software without what
they call a 'complier'.
No, I know what you need. Why don't you go out and buy yourself a good
stereo? In that way you can listen to your Very Own CD's and maybe even radio!

>I'll need some proposals about how we should go about writing this miraculous
>piece of software and some other pointers about what to put in it but It
really
>shouldn't be all that hard. =)

If you really want to make this "OS", then you should write a mail to
MicroSoft and ask them how *they* did. These Good Guys will certainly be
more than happy to spend a couple of minutes of their valuable time to show
you.

Best regards and good luck,
Moro "binEng" Nidi O. T.